- What: Meals for a Million is a community wide event for the entire St. Louis region. A co-operative food packaging event to produce one million dried non-perishable meals to be distributed to starving people in the St. Louis area and international countries. Two nutritional formula's (Fortified Rice & Beans and Instant Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal) will be packaged in sealed pouches. Each sealed pouch provides a complete meal for six children (or four adults). The cost of each meal is approximately 25 cents.
- When: August 26 (Saturday) packing from 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. and August 27 (Sunday) packing from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.. Event logistics volunteer support positions will also be available for sign up on the website. This includes volunteer positions with set-up on August 25 (Friday) from Noon until 6:00 p.m.
- Where: St. Charles Family Arena at 2002 Arena Parkway, St. Charles, MO 63303
- Registration: Visit the mealsforamillion.com website and volunteer for any of the packing table sessions or other needed event logistics positions. You will be able to select any volunteer position that is available at the time you register. You can also reserve a table for 8-12 participants for your family, friends, co-worker's or team.
- Participants: Adults and children (age 7 and older) are welcome to participate in the packing event. There will not be childcare provided at the facility on the day of the event.
- Participation cost: The $30 per person (or $300 per table) helps to pay for the cost of the ingredients, packing materials and shipping of the meals to those people in need. On-line payment via the website utilizes PayPal. You can also mail checks payable to BERAKA Ministries 1470 Mid Rivers Industrial Dr. St. Peters, MO 633756. You can provide a donation even if you are unable to participate in the packing event. Sponsorship opportunities are also available at mealsforamillion.com. BERAKA Ministries is a 501 (c)(3) organization and all contributions are tax deductible.
- Recipients: Approved local area food banks/pantries and international countries will be the recipients of the meals for a million finished product. Application for recipient consideration can be requested at mealsforamillion.com.
- Food Sanitation: Hair nets, beard nets, and sanitary gloves are required and will be provided. The sanitary gloves will be for those handling food ingredients/materials. Sleeveless shirts/tops are not recommended because of food sanitation.
- Food & Beverages: Food, water bottles, coffee, tea, soda, etc., will not be allowed in the food packing area for obvious sanitation reasons.
Beraka Ministries is a 501(c) 3 corporation that works to serve others in need in St. Charles County and around the world. Beraka comes from the Hebrew word berachah, which means "blessing". Founder Sam Rowley began Beraka Ministries in 2010 to be a blessing to others in need, both close to home and in other parts of the world.
Beraka Ministries partners with families and organizations to help meet their needs in practical ways, like donating blankets to keep elderly residents warm in Matamoros, Mexico, building a handicap access ramp for a family in St. Charles County, and providing new roofs for a former Boy Scout ranch that now provides wilderness experiences for underprivileged children.